Guestbook
Back to Guestbook
Write a comment on this guestbook entry.
Sign the Guestbook:
350) Kimberly Murphy  Female
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.110 Safari/537.36
Monday, May 29, 2017 06:32 PM

Hi Barbara. Ordered your book and read it right away. Thank you. Could you tell me where you got the information that a healthy, human thyroid secretes 100 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3 a day? I can't seem to find that information myself. Thank you.

barb Tuesday, May 30, 2017 04:49 PM
This was discussed in a previous comment; please see post #167.

Kimberly Murphy Wednesday, May 31, 2017 09:02 AM
I read that post, but what I am really interested in is the citation for the information that a healthy, human thyroid secretes 100 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3. That is a 10:1 ratio. Any information I can find on my own says 80% to 20% which is a 4:1 ratio. I find this is a big difference. I am trying to find the truth. Thank you.

barb Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:45 AM
The book, page #, and sentence were cited in post #167. It is also discussed in my book in Chapter 20, "Prescription Thyroid choices & Dosing Protocols," page 235. SECRETION from the thyroid gland is about 10:1 of T4:T3. However, some of this T4 is then converted, leading to a 4:1 ratio in serum. If you take the 4:1 ratio found in NDT, and then have any conversion of your own, you will end up with high T3 and low T4 levels.

Kimberly Murphy Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:37 PM
Thank you. Totally understand now!! Sorry...not at my sharpest. I had a total thyroidectomy 11 years ago and am trying to get to my optimal dose. Since I don't have a thyroid at all, I would think a good place to start would be 100 mcg T4 and 10 of T3. No one, in 6 years, has ever given me that much replacement. I am excited to give it a try soon. Thank you for bearing with me.

Kimberly Murphy Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:38 PM
ugh...Had my TT in 2011. Not 11 years ago. Oh brother!!

barb Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:43 PM
As I also stated in post #167, 100 mcg T4 and 10 mcg is an AVERAGE. It could be too much for you or too little. You should always increase any dose SLOWLY, or you could easily overshoot your optimal dose.

Kimberly Murphy Thursday, June 1, 2017 07:37 AM
Would you really start increasing slowly for someone without a thyroid? Right now I am on 1 grain NDT (WP Thyroid) and 17.5 mcg liothyronine. I have been on this since 5/18. I was up to 1 grain WP and 30 mcg liothyronine, but was doing that on my own and my dr did not approve. My T3 was over range and my T4 was under range. I was advised by a FB group that I was pooling and to cut my T3 in half. I now have a functional nurse practitioner I am working with. This has been so terribly hard. My main symptoms are depression and anxiety which have contributed, I believe, to a major decrease in appetite and a 37 pound weight loss. I also have had trouble sleeping. I just can't help but wonder if my body is just desperate for more thyroid hormone. I have no gland at all and am only getting 38 mcg T4 and 26.5 mcg T3. Just no way near 100 and 10. My fnp wants to wait until 6/8 bloodwork and 6/21 appt to change anything. Some days that seems like an eternity. Thank you.

barb Thursday, June 1, 2017 11:10 AM
The reason you increase slowly is to give your body time to adapt, and so that you don't crash. You say you have my book. Please read it so you can understand why your low T4 and high T3 dose may cause you to feel so ill.

Kimberly Murphy Wednesday, June 7, 2017 07:34 AM
Another question...if 1 grain of WP Thyroid has 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3, why is it 65 mg? Certainly 47 mcg is not equal to 65 mg. What is all the other stuff in there?

barb Wednesday, June 7, 2017 02:15 PM
If you read the ingredient label of any NDT, there are fillers, binders, and other ingredients besides T4 and T3. Check their website for more details.

Kimberly Murphy Monday, July 3, 2017 11:48 AM
Hello again Barbara. I have kept reading your book over and over as to try to retain more. Do you have a way to take your thyroid meds the day of bloodwork so it doesn't falsely elevate or falsely lower your results. The FB groups say to take your dose between 12-15 hours before a blood draw. I believe I read your recommend after 4 hours but not as far as 24 hours. What do you do? Thanks again!

barb Monday, July 3, 2017 12:31 PM
This depends on how many times per day you take any T3. We know T3 peaks 4-6 hours after a dose, and comes back to baseline after 24 hours. Ideally, you'd want to measure the lowest point between your doses. Since I take my NDT 4x/day, I measure at the 6 hour mark, which is my trough. If I were taking it 3x/day, I would measure at the 8 hour mark.

Kimberly Murphy Monday, July 3, 2017 05:29 PM
Right now I am taking 3/4 grain WP and 12.5 mcg liothyronine at about 6 am and then 3/4 grain WP around 3 pm. Thinking about maybe switching my 3/4 grain WP from 3 pm to 6 pm. And, maybe the night before bloodwork I could take it at 8 pm and then get blood drawn at 8 a.m. Is it ok to switch times like that just for one day or not really? Also, if you measure at a trough, how do you keep from over dosing?

Kimberly Murphy Monday, September 18, 2017 02:12 PM
Hi Barbara. So I am now on 50 mcg Tirosint and 2 grains WP. I have been on this since 8/31. When do you think would be the smallest window to do bloodwork? I am feeling so poorly today...mostly depression. I honestly have hardly any physical symptoms. It's all my brain. And I don't always feel so badly. In the 6 years since my TT I have never taken more than 56 mcg of T4. On July 25 of this year I was given 76 and then 8/31 increased to 126. I pray I am on the right track. This feels just dreadful.

barb Monday, September 18, 2017 08:33 PM
For me, 2 grains is an overdose, so 50 mcg T4 on top of that would certainly be too much. You might want to get labs after 4 weeks just to make sure you haven't overshot your optimal dose.

Kimberly Murphy Wednesday, September 20, 2017 01:27 PM
Thank you Barb! I have recently read about hypothyroidism and glycogen deficiency. Have you ever taken a look at that?

barb Wednesday, September 20, 2017 04:15 PM
Sorry no, not familiar with that.
Comments:

Spammer?
Name Name:
E-mail E-mail: (will not be displayed)
Password: What color is a lemon?
HTML code is enabled