Sign the Guestbook
Guestbook
Thanks for visiting my website. Please leave your comments...
Total Entries: 239   Entries Viewed Per Page: 20
1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Search    for
Name Comments

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

This comments section was NOT meant to be an interactive advice forum so please do not post your lab results here expecting an answer. I feel it is unwise to give advice without knowing more about a person, so will only answer questions that may be of general interest. I'm sure some of you got in trouble by following internet advice--I did! I am also only one person--there is no team of moderators here!

Standard rules for posting apply and you should all know what they are: no profanity, no flaming, no name-calling, etc. Obvious marketing pitches and anything I deem offensive, rude, erroneous, or inappropriate will be deleted.

If you’d like to talk to me, email me directly about an affordable hormone counseling session at barb @ tiredthyroid . com. Thank you.

199) Hadassah  Female
New York
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14393
Friday, October 7, 2016 03:08 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb , I hope everything is O.K. with you and your family . Being that the storm is hitting Florida and I hope all is well by you .

barb Thursday, October 13, 2016 06:20 PM
Thank you, we were extremely fortunate and only had minor damage.
198) Hadassah  Female
New York
Friday, October 7, 2016 12:26 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb , I tried so many different modalities of dosing . Originally my 150 T4 was right in the middle on lab tests and my T3 was very low . So that showed that I'm not a good converter . My Endo gave me a script for 1gr NDT ( dosed 4 x per day) to add on to 150 mcg T4 .Tried it too for a while . I still did not feel up to par .So I deducted 38mcg NDT from 150 the NDT and felt hypothyroid symptoms like muscle cramping . I'm wondering is it possible that one with T.T. or just my system needs very high T4 and lower NDT like 1gr to 1.25 gr at the most. ( I can't go higher without feeling estrogen dominant and brain fogy ) I did study your graphs for different combo T4 and NDT . But I seem to need a lot higher on T4 is that possible ? My Endo encourages very much to dose by symptoms and then by labs . But there is no use to test till I feel right and ready to test . I know you feel other wise . You would probably tell me to test and see where I'm low and where I'm high to tweak .But I'm concerned about needing a very high T4 if that's POSSIBLE that my body loves it and requires it? My Endo did say that if I did raise to 1.50 NDT only I should at that time reduce my 150mcg of T4 by 25mcg. Other wise keep adding the 150 mcg of T4 to 1gr. to 1.25gr. . THANK YOU Barb .
197) Barb B  Female
Calgary, Canada
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13G35 Safari/601.1
Thursday, October 6, 2016 01:51 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb, 😊 I just can't seem to get my dosing right. I've been working on this for quite a while. My doctor is content to leave it as is, but I just don't feel right. My heart rate is still too high, and rises easily. 85-90 at rest, jumps up easily to 110 or so, and I'm in good shape, and exercise daily and have for years. Im feeling somewhat anxious and depressed as well, as well as feeling as lazy as can be. . My blood pressure is slightly on the low side 95/65 ish.
My last labs came back as
TSH .08 ref range .2-4.0
Ft3 4.0 ref range 3.5-6.5
Ft4 17.9 ref range 10-25
Do you have any suggestions of what I can try?
I take 1 grain of Erfa and 50 of synthroid
Also on biest cream and prometrium caps
I had RAI twice for Graves about 40 years ago.
Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to give me.
196) Hadassah  Female
New York
Sunday, October 2, 2016 08:46 AM Write a comment

Barb , I cut my 1gr. NDT into quarters for cost effectiveness because my insurance won't pay for natural thyroid . Do I loose any effectiveness of my dosing on that account ? Thank you in advance .
195) Hadassah  Female
New York
Friday, September 30, 2016 01:19 PM Write a comment

Yes Barb you are so right and you should know that I always look and try to study your graphs because no body interprets thyroids like you but I wanted to make sure since my endo added 1gr of Nature to my 150 Levoxyl which is mid rang prior to dosing with NDT. But now after 8 weeks on NDT I feel it's to much . My endo goes by symptoms and then by labs the way you stated . I feel lucky after 23 yrs of suffering that I found you and my endo .So I wanted to lower my T4to the 150 that I was originally on and stay still on 1gr of NDT .Thank you for confirming it for me. I was thinking if I should just cut back 25mcg on T4 or to go straight to 150 mcg T4 in total with NDT ? You are truly HEAVEN SENT .THANK YOU .
194) Hadassah  Female
New York
Thursday, September 29, 2016 08:12 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb, I know you mention in the book that your T3 comes from the NDT you dose with . But does the T4 from the NDT also factor into the T4 we take ? I mean if I do well 150 mcg T4 so do I subtract 38 T4 from 1gr of NDT that I dose with to get the total T4 that I need ? Would that mean 112 T4 plus 38 from the NDT = 150 T4

barb Friday, September 30, 2016 11:32 AM
Yes, of course you have to take into account the mcg of T4 in NDT. This is illustrated in a chart in my book on page 20, Chapter 1, Figure 1-3, where I show the T4 and T3 content of various combination doses.
193) Robert  Male
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 03:07 PM Write a comment

Hello.
I have your book. They are very good, congratulations!
I still don’t understand one thing: is possible to have a Free T3 at 70% of reference range whit no medication and still have a hypo symptoms? My free T4 are at 28 % of reference range and my TSH is 5.
Can this be a case of overconvertion? Why the TSH is not suppressed whit this high Free T3 value?
Thank you.

barb Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:24 PM
Test your iodine, iron, and ferritin. If the raw ingredients to make thyroid hormone aren't available, the body will maintain FT3 over FT4. TSH helps with conversion and stimulates production. Since you are not on medication, it will stay high until T4 rises. T4 has effects of its own, as T4, which is why you feel hypo. You need BOTH T4 and T3 at good levels to feel well.
192) MELISSA  Female
BRAZIL
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/53.0.2785.116 Safari/537.36
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:19 AM Write a comment

(CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST)
I don't take any other medicines, so I know this couldn't be affecting the "frees" like you mention in the book. So I'm left wondering, which ones should I consider to adjust my dose now, the "frees" or the "totals" since they are in opposite directions for the T3 and the T4?

Thanks a lot again and all the best to you from Brazil,

Melissa

barb Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:33 PM
Thanks Melissa for posting your story. Who would have ever thought that 1/8 grain doses would be your answer? As you know, the "free" and "total" tests measure different things, and also use different testing methodologies. If you look at the big picture, neither is high and over the reference range, which suggests you could stand an increase in either T4 and/or 1/8 grain NDT. I also question your FT3 reference range, because my US range is similar, but ends at 4.2. Maybe add 1/8 grain to your morning dose?
191) melissa  Female
Brazil
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:18 AM Write a comment

My SHBG, alk. phosphatase, calcium, triglyc., glucose, all normal. Maybe my cholesterol is a bit high (202) considering I exercise a lot everyday, but I was very satisfied with these results and can honestly say this is the closer I've got to my ideal dose so far. I owe it all to your book, I certainly could never have got this close without the knowledge I learned there.

I thought you'd find it interesting to know how taking so little T3 was enough for me, and how important it's to test at the correct time after a dose.

My opinion is that my FT3 is still a bit high considering what it may look like in its peak. I found it curious that it is quite high (near the top of ref. range) 6 hours after dosing,while the Total T3 is in fact just a teeny tiny amount below mid range. As for the T4, the opposite is true, the FT4 is a bit below mid range while the Total T4 is a bit above mid range. Go figure. I should add that the lab I do my tests is quite good, the best in Brazil.

As for symptoms, the only ones I've been having lately are some of low cortisol. And on this blood test the cortisol showed lower than normal too. That's confusing, because I know high thyroid levels "spend" cortisol, but also adequate thyroid levels are needed for its production. So I'm not sure if I consider that a symptom of hyper or hypo.

CONTINUED NEXT POST
190) MELISSA  Female
Brazil
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:14 AM Write a comment

Hi Barb, how are you doing? It's Melissa from Brazil! Would love to share with you my results from my labs this week, thought you'd find them interesting and would love to hear your thoughts about it!

I dramatically reduced the dose of Erfa I take after I had a lab which showed above ref. range levels of FT3 6 hours after a dose (I was taking 1.25gr of Erfa per day divided in 4 doses plus 75mcg Synthroid). It shows how important it is to time the labs after your T3 dose, like you insist on the book (you were the reason I discovered this was important, for no one else mentions this!). For years I had been doing the labs around 8 or 9 hours after my T3 dose and getting results just a tiny amount above the middle of the ref. range. How much wasted time and effort, and I can only hope I didn't damage my bones.

So I've been taking for 2 months 81 mcg of Synthroid and half grain of Erfa (1/8 grain each 6 hours) per day. I went for the blood draw exactly 6 hours after my last dose of Erfa (I always take it at 4am along with my Synthroid, but on the days of testing I skip the Synthroid - should I skip it, btw?). My results (ref. range in brackets):

Total T4 - 8.9 (4,5 - 12 - mid: 8,25)
FT4 - 0.9 (0.6 -1.3 - mid: 0,95)
Total T3 - 133 (70 - 200 - mid: 135)
FT3 - 3.5 (2.4 - 3.7 - mid: 3,05)
TSH = 0

My erythrocites, lymphocytes and monocytes are back to normal at this dose, they were all higher when I was taking too much thyroid.

(CONTINUED NEXT POST)
189) Hadassah  Female
New York
Monday, September 26, 2016 07:00 PM Write a comment

Barb , personally the book should be an award winner . I was wondering should I lower my 1gr NDt in addition I take 150mcg T4 . My RT3 is a bit high and my Creatinine is a tiny bit low .In your award wining book you say to lower T3 .I'm disappointed that I wasn't tested for FT3-FT4 . This Endo luckily works by symptoms and then labs . Once I have all lab work I want to consult with you . You are a BRAINYACK .
188) Hadassah  Female
New York
Monday, September 26, 2016 03:06 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb , thank you so very much for your response and HONESTY . Trust me I read some books in the past 23yrs since my T.T. and I have never come across a TEXT BOOK like yours . I wrote my honest feeling about the book at Amazon . And I truly am hoping you will come out with Volume II of "TIRED THYROID "very SHORTLY. Your thorough and detailed researched HONEST form of writing is beyond any . THANK YOU .

barb Monday, September 26, 2016 04:14 PM
Thank you Hadassah for your kind review. While I'd like to write another book, it would take me several years to compile enough research to fill a second book. I appreciate your encouragement, and if I ever do publish another book, it will certainly be announced on my blog.
187) Hadassah  Female
New York
Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:49 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb , what is the T3 and T4 supposed to be at ? Mid range or higher ?

barb Sunday, September 25, 2016 11:04 PM
The majority of people feel best when it is slightly below mid-range or higher. Everyone is individual. Some may only tolerate lower levels. You use labs in conjunction with how you feel to determine your best dose.
186) Lucas  Male
Tuesday, September 20, 2016 09:11 AM Write a comment

Hello.
Is a nasolabial fold in the face a sign of hypothyroidism? How hypothyroidism affect the face?
Thank you.

barb Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:16 AM
I think this is a question for Dr. Google. I've seen photos online where the face gets meaty or full.
185) shela  Female
chester
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Safari/537.36 Edge/13.10586
Friday, September 9, 2016 03:44 PM Write a comment

Barb could you please help!!!
my TSH 3.460
RT3 10.2
FT4 1.02
FT3 2.8
IVE BEEN ON NDT FOR A YEAR AND MY TSH HAS GONE UP. I DONT FEEL ANY BETTER AND MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT RAPIDLY.
IM ON 1 AND HALF GRAINS OF NDT IF I RAISE IT I FEEL TRIED BUT WIRED.

barb Saturday, September 10, 2016 01:18 PM
Hi Shela,

I really can't advise you without knowing more about your medical history, reference ranges, etc. The standard answers are those you've probably already heard: have you checked your iron/ferritin and cortisol levels?

FYI, I cannot take more than 1.5 grain either. I discuss why this happens to a lot of people in my book.

If you're interested in a Hormone Counseling session, contact me directly at barb @ tiredthyroid.com
184) Michaela  Female
Germany
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Friday, August 26, 2016 05:50 PM Write a comment

Hi!
I read your blog about the adrenal-thyroid connection. And I am a bit confused now, because I was told that starting thyroid medication can demask adrenal fatigue.

In fact, when I had to introduce synthroid because of cold nodules(even tough my thyroid hormones were perfectly normal but doctors want TSH to be low to prevent further growing of nodules) my free cortisol decreased to the point I found myself vomiting and unable to go to the supermarked.

ACTH and serum cortisol were normal, it's just the free cortisol being extremely low and transcortine being high.

But when thyroid hormones decrease cortisol binding how can it be that the opposite happened to me? Estrogene levels are just normal.

Any suggestions? Is there a link between starting thyroid medication and decreasing free cortisol levels?

Sorry, I hope this wasn't too much detail.

barb Saturday, August 27, 2016 10:25 PM
"Or is it because I was adding extra hormones to a "normal" thyroid, pushing me more into the hyperthyroid range?" I think this was the problem. Graves' patients have problems with adrenal insufficiency that corrects when they bring their thyroid levels down.
183) Terry  Female
Ottawa Canada
Friday, August 26, 2016 11:10 AM Write a comment

I'm so glad I happened upon this in doing research. So much misleading info out there. I was diagnosed with Graves 2 years ago. Was on tapazol for 18 months (tweaked many many times over that time)and off since end of April. I'm pretty sure the thyroid is amping up again. My endo has been conservative in her approach and has never suggested RAI. She did mention about possibly having to take both tapazol and synthroid which I thought would be counterproductive but your article explained it so well. Not sure if taking tapazol long term is an option or not. Next round of bloodwork and endo is in another month. I'm getting your book to do some research before my next appointment. Thank you.
182) Pam  Female
Indianapolis
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
Thursday, August 18, 2016 09:44 AM Write a comment

What do you do when your Primary Care Dr. and Endocrinology Dr. will not order any other test but the TSH. They base my doseage of Synthyroid by the TSH alone. Even though my TSH is 1.2, I don't feel well. Can't sleep, have anxiety, depressed, on and on.

barb Thursday, August 18, 2016 03:15 PM
You look for another doctor. D.O.s tend to be more open-minded than M.D.s When I had to switch doctors because I moved, I called every potential GP in my town and asked if the doctor prescribed desiccated thyroid. That's how I found mine!
181) Karla  Female
Maine
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36
Friday, August 5, 2016 04:00 PM Write a comment

Hi again, Barb. I did not get any email from you could you try again. Raemorrill@aol.com. I tried backing down on NDT to 1 grain and adding some T4 low and FT3 dropped like a rock. I feel awful. Don't know re iron. It was low, then went up, then down - wasn't on supps. Saw cardiologist who does not believe this is medication related and it did not improve on lowering NDT - time of day - he says it's autonomic. I feel so bad with foggy head and pain.

barb Friday, August 5, 2016 04:59 PM
I just resent it. My Hormone Counseling Disclaimer is attached. I don't know if the attachment is sending it to your spam folder.
180) Phil  Male
Midwest
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.103 Safari/537.36
Friday, July 1, 2016 01:37 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb.

I wanted your opinion on my current state of affairs. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in 2014 with a TSH of 5. I've been on .75 mg synthroid since, but recently, starting in May, I've had strange symptoms, including increased anxiety, feeling jittery, increased blood pressure, muscle spasms, insomnia and quickened pulse. These are all symptoms of hyperthyroid, so I'm wondering if it could be the warming weather (it's been pretty hot so far in the midwest) or possibly an improving thyroid as my health improves -- I've been doing meditation and healing qi gong of late.

How does one know definitively that they are going hyperthyroid. I had lab tests just pulled and my TSH is where the doctor wants it. Interestingly enough, I've always had high cholesterol and this latest lab showed the lowest LDL number i've ever had. All the other labs looked fine.

Your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

barb Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:37 PM
If you were hyperthyroid, your TSH would be close to zero and your Free T3 and Free T4 would be above the reference range. Some of the symptoms you describe appear in people with low Free T3. TSH is not a useful marker in someone on medication.
View RSS Feed