Sign the Guestbook
Guestbook
Thanks for visiting my website. Please leave your comments...
Total Entries: 240   Entries Viewed Per Page: 20
[1] 2 3 ... 12
Search    for
Name Comments

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Standard rules for posting apply and you should all know what they are: no profanity, no flaming, no name-calling, etc. Obvious marketing pitches and anything I deem offensive, rude, erroneous, or inappropriate will be deleted.

240) Karla  Female
Location:
United States
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36
Tuesday, November 21, 2017 01:21 PM Write a comment

It seems that my need for thyroid med is decreasing. I've managed it myself pretty much with my naturopath but have a new MD who seems to think I may still have too much T3 (she is pro NDT). I was on 1.5 grains for a while and started testing at 6 hours post dose instead of around 10.

After 5-6 weeks on 1.5 grains Naturethroid my TSH was 0.92, FT4 1.1, FT3 4 (6 hours after AM 1 grain of split dose) and RT3 12.

I went to 1.25 Naturethroid and because of feeling so bad (I have Lyme as well so unclear what is thyroid) so tested at around 2 weeks. Same time interval after AM 1 grain. TSH was now 1.97, but FT4 was 1.2 (up) and FT3 4.2 (also up) and RT3 still 12.

Just in general, how can TSH go UP when frees are also up? Im noting gasping for air during night, which I think is fairly new. Of course my naturopath seems to think I could get off it all together (seronegative for Hashi). I need to test again soon.

Last winter I'd been on as much as 1.5 and 25 levo daily with numbers good at 10 hours. I figured if I had 3.7 or 3.8 T3 at 10 hours perhaps I was way too high earlier in day and T3 was going up at the 10 hour mark.
239) Anne Marie McCusker
Location:
United States
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36
Tuesday, November 14, 2017 09:50 AM Write a comment

What experience, reading or knowledge can you direct me to that sometimes people need more medicine in the winter months vs. the spring/summer months?

barb Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 AM
I wrote a blog post [search] 2017/03/01/feeling-cold-you-may-need-more-t4/ that says T4 is more essential to keep someone warm than T3.
238) nick  Male
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:12 PM Write a comment

Thanks for putting out good information! I have a quick question. Why do people take such high doses of NDT (ex - 4 grains per day) when the body doesn't produce nearly that much hormone naturally each day? 4 grains is 36 mcg t3 which is 3-4x (if this is true) as much as a thyroid naturally produces.

Then I read stories about people taking 4-6 grains per day and not even responding. What do you think is the issue here?

barb Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:11 AM
If someone can take high doses of thyroid hormone and show no response, then either they're not absorbing the medication or they've been hypothyroid for too long. One theory is that thyroid hormone receptors become less sensitive when deprived of any stimulation for a long time. It then takes more thyroid hormone to get the same response as a normal person.
237) susie  Female
Location:
United States
Saturday, November 4, 2017 08:49 PM Write a comment

Hi i love your blog and am in the midst of thoroughly reading it. My husband is on NDT. He started 1/2 tablet (he has 1.5 grains each tablet NatureThroid) and after a couple weeks or so, he's now on 1 and 1/2 tablet (97.2 mg i think). He has been on that dose at least 2 weeks. Actually, i had him on 2 tablets but backed down (that was 3 grains) as i am unsure about the dose for him. He still has most of the symptoms (lower afternoon temps, tired, etc.) so i don't know what his ending dose will be.
Other thyroid groups told me to sit at 1 1/2 tablet (not grain) for 5 wks and THEN test. I'm wondering if i should get him tested the next week or so? So i at least know where he's at? Also if his last dose is at 5 or 6, is it okay to have BW at about 11 the next morning?

The thyroid groups told me it takes that much time for T4 to build. He's been on TRT since mid Oct but titrated like i said above, of course. Oh his iron, selenium, etc. are fine. He IS on testosterone shots twice weekly for about a month now, he's 69. THANK YOU!!!
236) Hadassah  Female
Location:
NY
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 Edge/15.15063
Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:32 AM Write a comment

Barbara would love to know what brand of T4 your on these days ?

barb Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:47 AM
Today I'm taking Levoxyl. A month ago I was taking Synthroid. I've also tried various generic brands of levothyroxine in the past (insurance changes, etc.). All my labwork confirms that every brand has T4 in it, since I don't produce any of my own. I think which one you choose is really personal preference. Some people say they react to fillers. If so, try different brands.
235) B Hicks  Male
Location:
rocky mountains
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/61.0.3163.100 Chrome/61.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36
Friday, October 27, 2017 01:34 PM Write a comment

Hi Barb, Thanks so much for being a great resource of information. I am learning a ton from your writing!

Specific question, though I have not read your website completely yet I found that apparently you do not make a distinction between D1 and D2 as converters of T4 to T3, but really focus on D2 conversion. This article: www dot nahypothyroidism dot org/deiodinases/ seems to bring up an number of potential issues regarding the difference in pituitary use of D2 vs body's use of D1 and the problems possibly caused by their extremely different potency in conversion. Have you written about this or have any commentary? Thanks and Best regards!

barb Friday, October 27, 2017 06:17 PM
There's a section in my book in the TSH chapter called "Why doesn't T4 replacement result in physiological levels of T3? I discuss the difference between the two enzymes in detail there.
234) Shaw  Female
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:17 AM Write a comment

I'm just about to start adding a low dose of Synthroid to my NDT and I was wondering if Synthroid can be taken at the same time as the NDT or if it's better to space it out (maybe take Synthroid at bedtime?) You seem to be one of the few people I've found that uses both medications so any advice would be great.

Thanks!

barb Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:27 PM
Synthroid/levothyroxine must be taken on an empty stomach to become active. For that reason, I take mine before waking along with my first half grain of NDT. So to answer your question, yes, it's ok to take both together, but there's also no reason you couldn't take them apart either (as long as your stomach is empty).
233) Lee  Male
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 01:11 PM Write a comment

Thought I was supposed to reply to your email so sent a message to you there as well.
232) Lee  Male
Sunday, October 15, 2017 01:32 PM Write a comment

All I'm trying to do now is to get back to baseline before I added the T4 and address why I crashed on it, but somehow, between starting and then stopping it, my adrenals got messed up, and after a few days of initially feeling relief from the symptoms since stopping, I feel I'm over-secreting cortisol which is causing an increase in blood pressure and anxiety. At a loss of what to do now.

Pat Sunday, October 15, 2017 10:49 PM
Lee, if you are interested, would you like to email me @ stsfootball@aol.com - we can share our experience and discuss what has/has not worked.

I will delete this comment containing my email after you reply.
231) Mark Searle  Male
Location:
Hungary
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36
Sunday, October 15, 2017 04:45 AM Write a comment

Hi,
My wife had RAI 6 months ago after several attempts to battle Graves with drugs. Although FT3 and 4 are now in normal range on a moderate dose of thyroxine, her TSH is 22 (range 0.4 - 4.00)
What we we don't understand is that the docter only focuses on ft3 and 4 and says all is fine.
I cannot find anything definitive online or research that suggest what the target TSH should be after RAI, or even if it is any longer important as there is no longer much (any?) thyroid left to interact with.
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good info on this subject. Manmy thanks

barb Sunday, October 15, 2017 01:29 PM
A high TSH indicates hypothyroidism or undermedication, while a low TSH can mean several different things. I wrote a book about Graves' patients' (and all thyroid patients') problems with dosing by TSH. Link should be at the top of this page.
230) Lee  Male
Sunday, October 15, 2017 02:39 AM Write a comment

Here are my 2017 thyroid labs, consolidated on an easy-to-read spreadsheet (paste into browser):
app.box.com/s/ds149uextievguib0evt6uk32afrfl59
Vit A, D, B12, folate, selenium all fall w/i upper limit of normal.

Reviewed the Chapter regarding the Profiles. As such, I still am unable to determine which Profile I might fall in based on my labs. Thoughts?

barb Sunday, October 15, 2017 01:24 PM
Lee, this should be the very first thing you see when you come to the comments page: "This comments section was NOT meant to be an interactive advice forum so please do not post your lab results here expecting an answer. I feel it is unwise to give advice without knowing more about a person, so will only answer questions that may be of general interest. I'm sure some of you got in trouble by following internet advice--I did! I am also only one person--there is no team of moderators here!

If you’d like to talk to me, email me directly about an affordable hormone counseling session at barb @ tiredthyroid . com. Thank you."

Please note that this is a completely public forum, so I would recommend against putting any personal information up here.
229) Lee  Male
Saturday, October 14, 2017 08:37 PM Write a comment

I was really holding out hope for the 25mcg T4 (Tirosint) trial; I bombed out after two weeks of having added it to 1 grain NDT. Unexpectedly, my symptoms got progressively worse (fatigue/general malaise/achiness, constipation, moody, tightness around throat when speaking, weight gain/water retention) as did labs (rT3, FT4 and TSH increased while FT3 decreased). Quite the opposite of what my doc and I had expected. I couldn't take the symptoms any longer and seeing my labs worsen, so I stopped the Tirosint.

All the other internet groups would argue that it was a mistake to add T4, as all it does is raise rT3 if it doesn't convert to T3. This is in direct contradiction to everything your state in your book (i.e., too much T3 converts to rT3 and that adding T4 to NDT is beneficial).

At a complete loss as to what to do to resolve this.

Any suggestions?

barb Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:21 PM
In Chapter 23 of my book, page 270, I list 3 different profiles for thyroid patients taking medication. My book talks about people like me, Profile I, with low FT4 and high FT3 on 100% NDT. WE feel better adding some T4. If you have high FT4 and low FT3 on NDT, then adding T4 would not be wise. You might feel better by just raising the NDT. 1 grain is not a full replacement dose. You must all address any cofactor deficiencies: iron/ferritin, cortisol, Vit D, Vit B12, folate, etc.
228) Kristina  Female
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:27 AM Write a comment

Hi Barbara,

I have several books on Hashi's and hypothyroidism and yours is the most comprehensive out of all of them! I am so glad I stumbled up on it. Thank you! My Dr. has given me compounded T3 so as not to have to worry about taking multiple doses of T3 throughout the day. Have you tried it or have any thoughts about it? When might you suggest doing labs if I take it with my levo at 6AM? I believe the Dr. said it has 10-12 hour release across the day.

barb Saturday, September 30, 2017 09:05 PM
Thanks, glad you liked the book! I have not tried compounded T3. If it releases over 10-12 hours, try testing at its midpoint, or 5-6 hours after taking it.
227) Lee  Male
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
Sunday, September 17, 2017 06:16 PM Write a comment

5 weeks into having added my daily dose of 25mcg Tirosint to 1grain NDT and still going in and out of feeling off (fatigued, achey). Labs (2 hrs after taken thyroid meds) came back: TSH: 2.02, FT3: 3.50, FT4: 1.50, rT3: 25. Should I increase the Tirosint or add more des. thyroid - or wait/re-test later? Of concern is that my rT3 increased to 25 which is above range. Could this signal a conversion issue? Or could adding T4 have exacerbated an underlying adrenal issue?
226) Leslie Blumenberg  Female
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
Sunday, September 3, 2017 02:00 PM Write a comment

Hello Barbara!

I can't thank you enough for the article about Reverse T3! I feel like I'm always fighting the waves of ignorance on the subject and now I can point patients towards your excellent article. I keep saying, 'but RT3 is not evil like you've been told... it's a necessary part of the homeostasis of the body.'

You explain it so nicely that a sigh of relief came over me! I will be looking around your blog for more well researched information to pass on to patients. I've been a thyroid patient advocate for almost 2 decades, so my research interest is deep, like yours. However, some of these support groups are ruining peoples' lives with misinformation.

Thanks again!
Leslie Blumenberg

barb Sunday, September 3, 2017 03:47 PM
Thank you so much Leslie! Patients should be warned that misinformation can come from patient support groups AND doctors. We can only counter this misinformation if people learn the facts.
225) Sheila  Female
Location:
Monreal
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Thursday, August 31, 2017 09:09 AM Write a comment

I was diagnosed with Graves 12 years ago and am being treated with Synthroid, yet I keep alternating between hyper and hypo thyroid states. I have both antiTPO and antithyroglobin antibodies. Does that mean I have both Graves and Hashi antibodies?

barb Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:40 AM
Many Graves' patients have both sets of antibodies; I do. What you should check are your TSI antibodies. If those are high, then your TSH can be lower than it should be, regardless of your Synthroid dose. You can NOT dose by TSH. You cannot fluctuate between hyper and hypo if you have no gland. It's just your TSH fluctuating due to fluctuating antibodies.
224) Lee  Male
Thursday, August 31, 2017 02:27 AM Write a comment

Is there an adjustment period when starting levothyroxine, Synthroid or Tirosint (in my case, 25mcg Tirosint was added to my dose of 1 grain dessicated thyroid)? I am going on my 3rd week and am getting a flare up of joint pain and muscle aches in prone areas (neck/back). 25mcg is a modest addition, but it's been a few years since I made any changes to my thyroid meds. As a side note, I do not have a problem converting T4 to T3 when I was on T4 in 2012. Thoughts?

barb Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:46 AM
Yes, it will take your body a few weeks to find equilibrium again: the conversion enzymes will adjust to accommodate more T4 in your system. You should test FT3 and FT4 to see how this new dose affects your levels. Joint pain can appear when a dose is too low OR too high.
223) Sheila  Female
Location:
Montreal, QC
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Monday, August 28, 2017 01:19 PM Write a comment

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Graves 12 years ago. I tried pills for a year, and when that didn't work, I had RAI treatment. Shortly afterwards, I became hypo, and started Synthroid. Since then I continue to alternate between hyper and hypo: I have to change my dosage once or twice a year, every year. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster! Can you tell me what might be causing this?

Barb Monday, August 28, 2017 04:06 PM
Your TSH probably changes because you still have Graves'. Please read my book for more information on why Graves' patients cannot use TSH as a guideline.

Sheila Thursday, August 31, 2017 09:16 AM
Hi Barb! Thanks for the tip. I've read your book (a bit technical for my level of scientific literacy), and will read that section again. (I also have Stop the Madness as well as books by Broda Barnes and Mark Starr.)
I saw an endo yesterday, and was not surprised by his response as it was similar to most thyroid patients. I see a ND today and am hoping for a fresh outlook!
I posted another question about my antibodies...I'm confused.
222) Jenny  Female
Location:
Scottsdale, AZ
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 10_3_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14G60 Safari/602.1
Friday, August 18, 2017 12:07 PM Write a comment

I want to thank you for writing such a comprehensive book! It quite literally saved me from giving up. Combining NDT and Tirosint is turning out to be the answer for me and I doubt I would have pushed for it if I hadn't read about your experience. I have a question that your book didn't address....taking vitamins when multi-dosing the NDT. It's hard to get the 4 hours before and after. Any suggestions would be helpful, but I also understand that this isn't Q&A. Either way...a huge heartfelt thanks for your book!

barb Friday, August 18, 2017 08:32 PM
Glad you enjoyed the book and I hope you'll write an amazon review. I don't know if any specific vitamins affect oral thyroid hormones. I've read that biotin can cause you to have inaccurate results, and I know that iron and calcium shouldn't be taken with them. You may have to do some googling to find the answers to your specific questions!

Jenny Monday, August 21, 2017 08:07 PM
I take a multi-vitamin with calcium and iron, and I've read several articles that suggest to take them 4 hours from taking levothyroxine. I remedied by taking the levo at 3am, and the NDT at 6am, vitamin at 10am and NDT at 3pm leaving a bedtime dose at 10pm. (Great suggestion by the way!). I wrote a review for your book on Amazon earlier this month and I recommend it to anyone with a thyroid issue. Thanks again!

barb Monday, August 21, 2017 09:12 PM
Glad you figured it out, and thanks for the review!
221) jen  Female
Location:
oxford
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36
Monday, August 7, 2017 11:27 AM Write a comment

hi Barb
I have had an under active thyroid for 25 years and for 20 i was on synthetic T4 but always felt unwell and lots of weight gain. 5 years ago i started on armour and did really well but then it started to be less effective even though i upped dose, went onto nature throid and am now having the same problem. my tsh is 0.01 mu/l 0. ft3 is 2.9 pmol/l, ft4 8.9 pmol/l. I have tried adding a little t3 but just piled on more weight. I do not know what to do next!! please if you could offer any suggestions i would be grateful
View RSS Feed